Life History Project Follow-Up
Writing this report was a very rewarding experience for me. I was able to put my interviewing and anthropology skills to the test while learning about my grandfather at the same time. As soon as we were told that we were doing a life history assignment on someone other than ourselves, I immediately knew I was going to use my granddad as my subject. I knew that he would confide in me and give details that would really help me write the assignment. I wanted to make sure I talked to someone that would be comfortable telling me a little bit of everything about them. The process of getting the information wasn’t as quick. Since he lives in Arkansas and doesn’t know how to use Skype, we performed our interviews via telephone twice for close to an hour each time. I would simply ask a question and he would go off about his past and told me many little stories that applied to the topic of discussion. This part of the interviewing I enjoyed very much. While there were moments of back-and-forth discussion, it was mostly him talking and me listening and writing. I could see where performing an interview in person would be much better since you can have that physical connection with the person and feel more involved in the interview rather than more of a scribe. Other than this, I enjoyed the project very much and feel closer to my grandfather than ever before.
No comments:
Post a Comment